Sir Ben Kingsley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Ben Kingsley

An unofficial forum on a great actor.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?

Go down 
+3
angelgold188
AAKhan07
Fagin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-03-07

How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? Empty
PostSubject: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 1:35 am

I became a fan after seeing Ben's portrayal of Fagin, in Polanski's version of Oliver Twist (hence my avatar pic and the forum logo lol! ). I was just so immersed in the whole character - the body language, the quirky voice... I mean, it was like I'd been transported into the backstreets of 19th century London, and I had NEVER been touched by such character acting before. Since then, I've watched mainly his bigger movies, such as Sexy Beast, Gandhi, and Schindler's List (which I had already seen), and I continue to be amazed. I've also become much more sensitive to actors and different cinema & TV genres. At the moment, I'm looking forward to seeing him as Frank, in You Kill Me (the trailer looks good).
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/sbkforum
AAKhan07

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: RE:   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Hey, I wouldn't call myself a fan of Kingsley but I'm kinda just looking into his films and career. The reason for this is that, a few days ago, I was walking through my school hall looking at the pictures of famous people who used to study at my school. Ben Kingsley was on the wall, I recalled the name from a film I'd seen (Lucky Number S7evin) and decided to research a bit. I had no idea such he was such a famous guy, and an Oscar winner. He used to study at The Manchester Grammar School, just like I do now. I'm planning to see Gandhi and Schindler's List to see how good this guy really is.

Ali Khan
Back to top Go down
angelgold188

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 1:31 pm

I am trying to remember what made me a huge fan of Ben's but for the life of me cannot think of the first film of his i saw because i have been a fan for so long, I think it may have been when i watched Crime and Punishment then going out and buying tons of videos with Ben's name on them Very Happy. bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:29 pm

AAKhan07 wrote:
Hey, I wouldn't call myself a fan of Kingsley but I'm kinda just looking into his films and career. The reason for this is that, a few days ago, I was walking through my school hall looking at the pictures of famous people who used to study at my school. Ben Kingsley was on the wall, I recalled the name from a film I'd seen (Lucky Number S7evin) and decided to research a bit. I had no idea such he was such a famous guy, and an Oscar winner. He used to study at The Manchester Grammar School, just like I do now. I'm planning to see Gandhi and Schindler's List to see how good this guy really is.

Ali Khan

Hey, I think that's really cool! I'd be so pleased if I found out something like that!
Back to top Go down
AAKhan07

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: RE:   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool too. According to Wikipedia, "Kingsley began his acting career on the stage at Manchester Grammar School", which was nice to hear. Although MGS is known for having the best Mathematics department in the country, it does also have an excellent Drama department. It's about to get better too, we're spending £2,000,000 on building a new Drama building. I am more Sciences than Arts but I do find this all very interesting.
Back to top Go down
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:40 pm

Well, I'm from Manchester too... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fruhling

fruhling

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I became a "fan" of his after seeing him in "The Confession", around 10 years ago now. I had already seen "Gandhi" and "Schindler's List", but for some reason I really connected with his role in this later film. I had a feeling I was watching someone with real dedication, and I even forgot that it was a film. It was like wtaching a real scene that you would find in reality, not on a screen.

@ Admin: I like very much the forum logo. bounce flower
Back to top Go down
The-Dark-Lady

The-Dark-Lady

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 3:08 am

As for me, I had some "periods" of interest with Sir Ben and there's been some long time, after which I could call myself a "fan".
I first saw him in "Schindler's List", but I had to grow up emotionaly and intellectualy in order to fully appreciate his talent (and the movie as well, which, as I said before, is a masterpiece for me, I worship it all the way) and fall in a kind of platonic love with his Stern, after seeing the movie a few more times. Then it was "Gandhi" for me and made a very strong impression. But eventually my obsession with Sir Ben began after "Oliver Twist", though the film itself is not perfect. Fagin turned out to be such a brilliant character, that I could not get my mind of him in many days after watching the movie. Then it all began: seeing more and more films with Sir Ben, buying dvds (those worth buying, of course), etc. He's the only actor for whom I would watch EVERY kind of movie, no matter how silly it is. So, yes, I'm obsessed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://photo.net/photos/beatafischer
Paul

Paul

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-05-08

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:03 pm

Here here!
Back to top Go down
davsow

davsow

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 pm

This is gonna sound really crazy, but I became a fan of his over one week, and that was very recently. It started when I watched The Assignment on a friend's DVD. In the film, I didn't really take muh notice. It was a good story and I thought it was Ben Kingsley, but wasn't sure ( Embarassed ). Then over the next couple of nights on TV, I watched some films they were showing, and funnily enough Ben Kingsley was in them. One of them was Sexy Beast and the other was Gandhi. It was then that I realised how pliable he was. Seems to be like something you can mould into any shape and size. You have to be really talented to be two completely different characters like that. The last one that I saw was Oliver Twist. I had seen the original version with Sir Alec Guiness and when I looked at the details of the OT that was on TV, it said "with Ben Kingsley as Fagin", I thought I'd take a look. Another success for me, I think! Why didn't I go and watch it at the cinema??? I must be mad!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?   How did you become a fan?  What started it all for you? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you become a fan? What started it all for you?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sir Ben Kingsley :: The Actor & His Work :: General-
Jump to: