Sir Ben Kingsley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Ben Kingsley

An unofficial forum on a great actor.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Oliver Twist (2005)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Oliver Twist (2005) Empty
PostSubject: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 7:29 pm

In the Nineteenth Century, the orphan Oliver Twist is sent to a workhouse, where the children are barely fed and mistreated. He moves to the house of an undertaker, but after an unfair severe spank, he starts a seven day runaway to London. He arrives exhausted and starving, and is welcomed by a gang of pickpockets lead by the old crook Fagin. When he is mistakenly taken as a thief, the wealthy victim Mr. Brownlow brings Oliver to his home and shelters him. But Fagin and the dangerous Bill Sykes decide to kidnap Oliver to burglarize Mr. Brownlow's fancy house. Oliver is wounded, while Mr. Brownlow tries to save Oliver. (from IMDB).

Kingsley's character: Fagin.

Oliver Twist (2005) Oliver-twist-poster-0

TRAILER: http://a.videodetective.com/?PublishedID=696229
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/sbkforum
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

PostSubject: Re: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 1:21 pm

As I've already said, this is my personal favourite. I find it quite amazing though at how many mistakes are in the film. I'm not referring to the actors, but to some of the decor and such. For example, when Fagin offers Dodger a pound if he'll agree to dodge Nancy... Maybe he's offering him a rolled up note from his hand, but the way it's done, you automatically think of a coin. Of course, pounds were in note form back then. And what are the things on the window to Fagin's right when he's giving Oliver those new shoes? Are they bars or blinds? 'Cause as far as I know, if they are supposed to be blinds the style is slightly too modern for 1837...

But, for me, it's where the film is set that "spoils" it all. Fagin is supposed to be in Spitalfields, yet when Dodger and Oliver go to his flat from Fleet Street it takes them only minutes. Even in 19th century London, with all the mazes of alleyways it would have taken longer. The characters in the Oliver Twist story are actually based upon people and happenings at Saffron Hill and Clerkenwell, which is a lot nearer to Fleet Street and which also fits certain events in the film, like the speed in which they get back to Fagin's flat, for example. I mean, why change it to Spitalfields? It doesn't even fit when Oliver is locked in the top room. I mean, sure, maybe at the time, you could have seen St. Paul's from way up top in the East End, but it wouldn't have been so close!

Maybe it's altered because it is a certain interpretation of the story. Like, for example, it was something that was happining all over. But, you know, when the decor and setting isn't changed to fit, it sort of doesn't look right. There's always going to be someone watching it who spots the mistake.

However, it's still my most favourite BK film!
Back to top Go down
fruhling

fruhling

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 4:31 pm

I also like this film very much. Another example for me of how good acting can completely make you forget you are watching fiction.

I agree with what you say about the errors in the film. I haven't taken much notice of the decor, but with regards to setting, yes. Fleet Street and Spitalfields do seem extraordinarily close in the film. Even so, it's very good, especially seeing as they built the set to make it look real, a bit like the way they built the ship for the "Titanic" film with Winslet & DiCaprio. There are a few errors also in "Lucky Number Slevin" but they are not as "noticeable".
Back to top Go down
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

PostSubject: Re: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Last week I was in my local supermarket and I noticed they were selling the Collector's Edition of OT for 10€! (The last time I saw it, it was around 34 because it was new...). So I looked at it, just to get a recap of what was collectable about it. Well, from what I can make out, the bonus are the same ones that are available on the official OT website. So, it is collectable because it is on DVD.... Well, to say that you can now watch the Making Of OT Behind the Scenes on YouTube, the content of the CE edition of the DVD isn't all that collectable... They should have included the YouTube content... No Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

PostSubject: Re: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 3:53 pm

frühling wrote:
There are a few errors also in "Lucky Number Slevin" but they are not as "noticeable".

Yes, you are right!
Back to top Go down
davsow

davsow

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 6:41 pm

I like this version of the film. There are a few mistakes in the film, yes. However, even if you've noticed them, I think the acting helps you to forget, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:14 pm

I think this version of Oliver Twist is the best of them all, because the acting and the makle up are best. I liked Ben's portrayal of Fagin. It was really something! I think the film should have gotten some sort of award, because it was a good portrayal of a classic story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wolfgangpreiss
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oliver Twist (2005)   Oliver Twist (2005) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oliver Twist (2005)
Page 1 of 1