Sir Ben Kingsley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Ben Kingsley

An unofficial forum on a great actor.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is he overrated? What do YOU think?

Go down 
+2
Paul
Fagin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Is he overrated? What do YOU think? Empty
PostSubject: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 3:47 pm

I've read in many places that BK is a very overrated actor. Some people think that it's the whole "gandhi" and "schinlder's list" thing that have started it. By that, they mean to say that because he has been in some very good and ground-breaking films, he is often overrated and his talents exaggerated. Other people think that the amount of films he makes adds to the whole problem. For example, there is a forum (I think it's a forum), called something like "the home of the astoundingly overrated" (I think it is on Facebook), and he is part of it. Also , many of his films are on a site called "Rotten Tomatoes" which lists really bad movies.

Personally, I don't think that he should be branded as really bad. In my opinion, a lot of directors and writers have seen his big films, and then subsequently they want him in their own films. And I've also read that he likes working with up-coming actors and new film makers. So, maybe if the films he does aren't so good, it makes him look overrated. Hope you know what I mean LOL....
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/sbkforum
Paul

Paul

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 12:20 pm

How can you overrate a talent like his??? I agree about some of the writers or directors being at fault with his reputation. He seems to like working with new-comers. Maybe that's the problem.
Back to top Go down
The-Dark-Lady

The-Dark-Lady

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:19 am

I think he wouldn't have this opinion if he did not play in some crappy, low valued movies. Sometimes I just didn't understand why he was choosing to be in such freaky productions as, for instance, "Thunderbirds". In my opinion he shoud not waste his talent on films which are not very ambitious.
Back to top Go down
http://photo.net/photos/beatafischer
Fagin
Admin
Admin
Fagin

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 11:18 am

He said that he wanted to do "Thunderbirds" because he used to watch it when he was young and he though it would be fun. As for other low-value movies, I think that, in a way, it is good that he does them, because it shows that he doesn't think himself above them - although apparently some people think that he's pompous and pretentious ( No ). But in another way it does give him a strange reputation in some respects. He's still my favourite actor though. bounce
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/sbkforum
fruhling

fruhling

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Fagin wrote:
apparently some people think that he's pompous and pretentious ( No ).

Oh, I completely agree with you. I don't find him pompous or pretentious.
Back to top Go down
The-Dark-Lady

The-Dark-Lady

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 pm

frühling wrote:
I don't find him pompous or pretentious.

I never even got such an impression, though I wish I knew him personally, to find out... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
fruhling

fruhling

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:23 pm

The-Dark-Lady wrote:
, though I wish I knew him personally, to find out... Rolling Eyes

Take it from me, he isn't.
Back to top Go down
The-Dark-Lady

The-Dark-Lady

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 10:01 pm

frühling wrote:
Take it from me, he isn't.

Allright, I trust you. Wink
Back to top Go down
davsow

davsow

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Maybe the problem is that he's a very pliable actor. He seems to fit most parts, and so maybe, as the Administrator says, directors that are not so good want to work with him. Pliable actors are useful, so they make lots of movies. I don't think he's overrated, no. I would tend to say rather that he is underrated.
Back to top Go down
Paul

Paul

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 4:29 pm

davsow wrote:
I would tend to say rather that he is underrated.

You may have a point there! cyclops
Back to top Go down
Thomas

Thomas

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:25 pm

I definately disagree with people who say he is overrated. Maybe his talents are just not so "run of the mill". For instance he is not always in the same kinds of films, and he tries out new things. Maybe some people think that to be so well-known is to always be in successful and box-office smash films. For me, the talent is what makes the actor, I mean reputation wise, not the fact that it sells well at the ticket office!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wolfgangpreiss
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is he overrated? What do YOU think?   Is he overrated? What do YOU think? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is he overrated? What do YOU think?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sir Ben Kingsley :: The Actor & His Work :: General-
Jump to: